Today Jesus gives 7 illustrations to explain the kingdom of God.
1) The Lamp – Everyone puts a lamp out for others to see the light. At the final judgment, all things will be brought into the light and be known. Jesus says more will be given to the one who hears God’s Word, understands it, obeys it, and spreads it to others. For those who don’t, what has been given will be taken away.
2) The Growing Seed – We scatter the seed by sharing God’s Word. God is responsible for tilling the hearts of those who receive it and growing His kingdom which will reach it’s full culmination when Jesus returns.
3) The Mustard Seed – The kingdom of God begins small, like the smallest seed, but results in enormous growth with an abundance of blessings.
4) The Leaven – God’s activity is not fully visible to the world but it begins in the heart and grows to feed others.
5) The Hidden Treasure – The Kingdom of God is more valuable than any earthly treasure.
6) The Pearl Merchant – The man that finds the kingdom of God will give up everything to be a part of it.
7) The Fishing Net – Evil will coexist with the righteous in this world but there will be a day when evil is cast out and the righteous prevail.
Jesus says one day, “The Son of Man will send out His angels, and they will gather out of His kingdom all things that offend, and those who practice lawlessness, and will cast them into the furnace of fire. There will be wailing and gnashing of teeth. Then the righteous will shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. He who has ears to hear, let him hear!” 🙏
We end the reading with Jesus and the disciples on a boat crossing the Sea of Galilee when a terrible storm arises. Jesus rebukes the wind and the water, exposing His power over the earth. He also rebukes the scared disciples for their lack of faith. This time the disciples are the ones who marvel saying, “Who can this be, that even the winds and the sea obey Him?” Jesus is still patiently growing these men into great men of God like that 4th seed we read about yesterday. These guys are going to be 100% reproducers for the kingdom of God, which is going to cost them their lives but they will gain so much more (Matthew 16:24-26).
Tomorrow Jesus continues to show His power, which increases the faith of the people, by performing several more miraculous healings. So keep reading!
(Matthew 13:10-23, Luke 8:9-18, Mark 4:21-29, Matthew 13:24-30, Mark 4:30-34, Matthew 13:31-52, Mark 4:35-41, Matthew 8:23-27, Luke 8:22-25)