One thing King David knows is that you have to have order, good leadership, and clear roles and responsibilities to effectively manage anything. King David is managing an entire kingdom and he is laying out plans for the management of the temple. You probably noticed that Ahithophel is mentioned today as David’s counselor. From what I read, it is likely that he was David’s first counselor but we know how his story ended…bitter betrayal and suicide (2 Samuel 16 & 17).
Today David assembles all the leaders of Israel and makes 5 declarations:
1) God chooses David to be king over Israel forever which is referring to when the Lord told David that the throne will not leave David’s lineage (2 Samuel 7); pointing toward Jesus to come.
2) God chooses Judah to be ruler as prophesied by Jacob in Gen 49:10. King David is from the tribe of Judah.
3) The Lord selects Solomon, David’s son, to be the next king.
4) The Lord selects Solomon to build His house.
5) God says He will establish Solomon’s kingdom forever if he obeys the Lord.
The reading ends today with David telling Solomon to serve the Lord “…with a loyal heart and with a willing mind; for the Lord searches all hearts and understands all the intent of the thoughts”.
Then David hands the prep work for the building of the temple over to his son and says, “Be strong and of good courage, and do it; do not fear nor be dismayed, for the Lord God – my God – will be with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you, until you have finished all the work for the service of the house of the Lord”. Keep reading bc tomorrow we find out that another one of David’s sons thinks he should be the next king. 😳
(1 Chronicles 26:1-28:21)