In today’s reading Moses addresses 5 main points with the children of Israel.
1) Moses recounts the Lord not allowing him to enter the promised land and then he blames the people by saying, “the Lord was angry with me on your account”. But Moses goes on to encourage the people to take the land and keep God’s commandments.
2) Moses says, “You shall not add to the word which I command you, nor take from it, that you may keep the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you”. Something similar is said at the end of this Story regarding the book of Revelation but the principle is consistent throughout scripture. “For I testify to everyone who hears the words of prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book; and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.” (Rev 22:18-19) God is not really interested in us teaching our thoughts and opinions. He wants us to teach what He said bc His ways and thoughts are higher than ours (Isaiah 55:8-9).
3) Moses instructs the people to pass down generation after generation by teaching their children and their grandchildren the Lord’s ways and all that He has done for Israel.
4) Moses again warns the people NOT to worship false gods. He must know that they are not going to listen bc next he says, but when you do worship false gods, the Lord will scatter you among the people. Moses however gives them hope by telling them, “from there you will seek the Lord your God, and you will find Him if you seek Him with all your heart and with all your soul”. This is exactly what will happen and we will read about it down the road.
5) Moses restates the commandments the Lord gave to the generation before them. He concludes by saying to do as God commanded; “…you shall not turn aside to the right or the left…that it may be well with you…”
Keep reading bc tomorrow Moses lets Israel know that they did nothing to earn the land they are about to receive.